> I also like the karaf shell a lot. The main thing I dislike is that the
> command or better Action class is not a singleton and so it is difficult to
> provide as a service.

Unfortunately, there are not many ways to write command:
  * put arguments and options in fields, in which case you can't use
singletons
  * have a method (or multiple) with options / arguments as method
arguments : having lots of options can become problematic and not really
easy to write or invoke
  * have a method with an Object[] argument to hold everything

There are pros and cons for each, but there's no silver bullet.