> I can’t remember and don't understand all the conversation from the emails
> below

It started from a comment I made:

>> For Karaf commands, also at first I was not happy that it forced me to
>> decide “either or” simple gogo commands or Karaf commands. However,
>> the Karaf commands really are nice. I think somebody should push to have
>> completers and all the other nice stuff added to the OSGi spec.

It was in the context of “standard” vs. “non-standard” OSGi. Karaf seems to be
doing both, but for good reasons.

There are still many holes in OSGi. Whether they are left there on purpose to
allow people the freedom to design their own solutions, or they are there
simply because nobody has developed the solution yet, I cannot say. Karaf is
clearly pushing the boundaries on the runtime front.

Pushing the boundaries is great, but I think we need to be careful when things
get too far.

I really like Karaf commands, but they seem to have become “non-standard”,
which is something I usually try to avoid when possible. To me, the ideal
solution is to take the great things about Karaf commands (help system,
completers…) and try to introduce them into the OSGi spec.

Has anybody considered this?

Cheers,
=David