Hello,

Both HBase and columnar are good options for Kylin's Cube storage, they all
have advantages and disadvantages.

Columnar is just a format; with it, we still lack a service layer (like
HBase service). Some vendor has implemented this by them own, but that is
not open source.

When having lots of cubes in HBase, remember to review and optimize the
Cube design, to minimize the scan and aggregation in HBase; Besides,
monitor HBase metrics to know better about the workloads. Usually, set up a
dedicated HBase cluster for Kylin would give you more flexibility to do
customization and performance tuning, and also be good for stability. Some
users are running the whole stack very well, but we also see
some is struggling with the operations.

Someone raised other option before, like Cassandra, Kudu; but no follow-up.
If you have some good idea on this and can make a proposal, that would be
nice.

Anyway, such discussion and input are always welcomed.

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋