Marc,

Could you check if the node that you invoke getSingleRelationship on
actually has one relationship (of BELONGS_TO_CATEGORY, OUTGOING) when
you only perform read operations. You could use the shell (see
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Shell) and go to the node listing all
relationships:

// go to node 149816 and list relationships
neo-sh (0)$ cd -a 149816
neo-sh (0)$ ls

-Johan