On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 21:48, Craig Taverner <cr...@amanzi.com> wrote:
>  1. Will a restructuring like this cause problems for your projects?
> Yes, but minor. Should be a simple search and replace to upgrade.

And if you need backwards compatibility then you can just go through
the 'retro' component.

> 2. Do you think this change will result in a positive overall effect for
> Neo4j?
> Perhaps. You're pushing for more use of the terms 'graph' and 'graph
> database', and I can see the marketing value in that.

That's not the biggest deal although I like that. The biggest deal is
that it's a consistent naming scheme with -- hopefully -- proper api /
impl separation.

> 3. Do these positive effects outweigh any potential problems the change
> causes?
> Hard to say. Can swing either way.
>
> Reading the wiki page, I noticed a question regarding the rdf package names,
> and a suggestion to add .api and .impl packages. I can answer this with my
> opinion, which I doubt you will agree with, but I'll add it here so at least
> it is said.
>
> If you had the freedom to make the change, I think that the API packages
> should have simple package names without the .api extension, and
> implementations should live in the impl packages. I think this goes even for
> the core api, which would be at org.neo4j.graphdb with the default
> implementations at org.neo4j.graphdb.impl (alternatively
> org.neo4j.graphdb.internal, since you explicitly state it is not of interest
> to users). If you had such a scheme, the location of implementations is much
> more flexible. You do not need to make the decision about the RDF package
> names now, and when you do split them, they still conform to the global
> naming strategy.

I'd love to get some input from the OSGi experienced crowd on this.

Emil Eifrém, CEO [e...@neotechnology.com]
Neo Technology, www.neotechnology.com
Cell: +46 733 462 271 | US: 206 403 8808
http://blogs.neotechnology.com/emil
http://twitter.com/emileifrem