(I saw your newer patch you sent directly to me, but continuing discussion
here though). With reservation for sounding a bit negative, here's my answer
to your questions/issues.

The meta model is indenpendent of the rdf layer (although some method names
indicate otherwise :) ), so consider that it can be used separately.

2010/4/7 Niels Hoogeveen <pd_aficion...@hotmail.com>

>  Hi Mattias,
>
> Today I worked on a modification to the Meta Model component, which I would
> like to submit as a patch.
>
> Each MetaModelObject now has a "name", but no "uri", something the RDF
> module works with.
>
> To make this possible, I added IndexService as an argument to
> MetaModelImpl, so the "uri" property gets indexed, just like it is in the
> RDF module.

I don't like using the same index ("uri") as the rdf component. It could
potentially lead to unexpected/unwanted behaviour. Instead work was started
(but not completed) to integrate the meta model into the rdf layer so that
some statements, f.ex http://something,<rdf:type>,http://some-type could be
converted into operations on the meta model instead
(class.getDirectInstances().add(...)) where the "http://some-type"; would
be(come) a meta model class which was created on demand, instead of a normal
RDF resource node.

Coming to think of it, the "uri" index in the rdf component could be called
"rdf_uri" or something like that instead to not conflict with other
keys/components (although it could as well anyways).

> Furthermore I changed in semantics of the "name" field for names that don't
> belong to the global namespace.
>
> Consider the following:
>
> namespace name: http://dash.org/ontology#
>
> class name: Toy
>
> property name: isMadeInChina
>
> class uri: http://dash.org/ontology#Toy
>
> property uri: http://dash.org/ontology#isMadeInChina
>
> For namespaces that use slash naming instead of dash naming, class uri's
> will have a trailing slash:
>
> namespace name: http://slash.org/ontology/
>
> class name: Toy
>
> property name: isMadeInChina
>
> class uri: http://slash.org/ontology/Toy/
>
> property uri: http://slash.org/ontology/isMadeInChina
>
> In the global namespace, name and uri are always the same, so the changes
> have no immediate impact on the meta model import, except for the creation
> of an extra "uri" property, which has a value equal to that of the name
> property.
>
> I think eventually it would be an improvement to load each ontology in its
> own name space, in which case some modifications should be made to the OWL
> and RDF importers to strip the name space prefix off the name.

We did this intentionally because we wanted to get away from all this
splitting/glue:ing of URIs which is just a hassle and is deemed to break
down in one or more cases (with the use of '/' and '#' and what not). The
namespace feature is really there to be able to support RDF-style   AND   an
OO-style layout where namespaces would be used to resolve conflicts in class
names (much like packages in java). The RDF-style layout needs no namespaces
since the URIs contain namespaces themselves.

> I supplied the patch in a zip attached to this email. I modified the tests
> of both meta-model and meta-model-import, since there is an extra argument
> for the index service, that needs to be provided. I have built both projects
> using maven and all tests passed.

Would you agree on any of my points made here, or am I missing your points
perhaps?