From: user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org [mailto:user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org] On
Behalf Of Johan Svensson
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:20 PM
To: Neo4j user discussions
Subject: Re: [Neo4j] Urgent: Block Not In Use error

Rick,

There is no ordinary way to NOT run recovery on startup if the system
crashes. The only way for that to happen is if something extraneous to
Neo4j has modified the filesystem in between runs. For example if the
logical files are removed after a crash, then starting up could lead
to "no recovery followed by block not in use" behavior you describe.
Another example is if you run a filesystem that doesn't honor the
POSIX fdatasync() contract (most popular filesystems can be configured
to do so...).

Could you explain a bit more what happened and some info of your
configuration such as:

o accidental shutdown means kill/powerfailure/non clean shutdown/clean
shutdown etc?
o what filesystem and configuration of it

-Johan