An advantage of forums is that messages can be more easily organized by
general topic.

eg.  "building and configuration", "REST", "Spatial", "graph algorithms",
"visualizations", etc...

You could create a separate mailing list for each general topic, but the
organization would not be as obvious nor as easy to navigate.

As much as some folks are interested in every aspect of neo4j, some of us
have strong interests in specific topics, and only a vague interest in the
others.

With a forum the more interesting topics could be more easily 'surfed
first' when time crunched.

--

A disadvantage of forums is that it is easier for my employer (via
'Websense') to block it.  Thus far they don't filter email, but the

'80's.  Only in the past year have I relented and started using HTML email
for many of my communications.

Surprisingly, for technical email, it is really nice to be able to easily
visually differentiate text and commentary and code and code-changes.

--

FWIW, he nicest forum software I've seen is whatever it is the 'hangout'
series of musical instrument forums uses (I think they wrote it

http://www.banjohangout.org
http://www.fiddlehangout.org
etc...  (there are a bunch of them now)

--

I agree that putting all ones eggs in the Google basket makes me nervous
for any emerging business or technology.  They are, first and foremost, a

I wouldn't expect to see any sort of "Public Utility" style regulation any
time in the forseeable future - at least in the current US political
climate.

--
Rick Otten
rot...@windfish.net