I agree that 16 transactions / second is much slower than what I usually see
on linux, even with a slow file system configuration. But I still believe
this is either disk or filesystem being slow. Could you please go through
the file system benchmarking outlined on this wiki page:
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Linux_Performance_Guide

Cheers,
Tobias