+1 against over engineering and for fulfilling concrete scenarios

One can definitely implement cool and 'function-rich' tagging systems
satisfying 99% of the usual use cases by using pretty much any db - RDBMS,
GraphDBs or even KV store. I have just learned from others in the past, that
modeling it via TagEvents is a nice and scalable way to go, no matter whether
TE is a graph node, or a row in some table...

One note on the advantage of graph, though - it can become handy, when you want
to implement some 'tag governance model'. After a while you will get quite
large and messy heap of tags, with not much structure. The usual natural step
then is to clean it up by gathering synonyms together and then binding your
tags into one or more structured vocabularies, most likely hierarchical -
generally speaking to tree structure(s) - like thesauri/taxonomies. Imagine a
system with information about all animals where you need the taxonomy of
species. Here implementing a tree structure(s) will become much more pain in
the Relational DB, while being almost an ideal showcase for the Graph...

But this is probably not the case you are solving here anyway...

-Josef.
--
www.subject.czSent with Sparrow