Both possibilities we thought about.

Using special characters like description.de is a good idea.

Actually in one of our prototypes we have a global array
language=(de,en,sp,...) and the
properties are arrays where the values have the same order, so we could parse
the responsed REST Object into a JSON object, which we could use as a view model
object for the GUI.
But the properties have most of the time empty fields. ... we are not happy
about that.

Ottmar