Hi all,

I am certainly behind on my emails, but I did just answer a related question
about OSM and fragmentation, and I think that might have answered some of
Daniels questions.

But I can say a little more about OSM and Neo4j here, specifically about the
issue of joins in postgres. Let me start by describing where I think
postgres might be faster than neo4j, and then move onto where neo4j is
faster than postgres.

Importing OSM data into postgres will be faster than neo4j because the
foreign keys are simple integer references between tables and are indexed
using postgres high performance indexes. In Neo4j the relationships are much
more detailed explicit bi-directional references taking more disk space (but
no index space). The disk write time is longer (more data written), but the
advantages of not having an index make it worth while.

So that leads naturally to where neo4j is faster. The reason there is no
index on the foreign key is because there is no need for one. Each
relationship contains the id of the node it points to (and points from), and
that id is directly mapped to the location on disk of the node itself. So
this is more like an array lookup, because all nodes are the same size on
disk. So the 'join' you perform when traversing from one osm-node to another
is extremely fast, but more importantly it is not affected by database size.
It is O(1) in performance! Fantastic! In rdbms, the need for an index on the
foreign key means you are building a tree structure to get the join down
from O(N) to O(ln(N)) or something better, but never as good as O(1).

In neo4j-spatial, if you perform a bounding box query, you are traversing an
RTree, which does not exist in posgres, but does exist in PostGIS. In both
Neo4j-Spatial and PostGIS you are working with a tree index that will slow
things down if there is a lot of data, and currently the postgis rtree is
better optimized than the neo4j-spatial rtree. But if you are performing
more graph-like processing, for example proximity searches, or routing
analysis, then you will get the full O(1) benefits of the graph database,
and no way can postgres match that :-)

OK. Lots of hype, but I get enthusiastic sometimes. Take anything I say with
a pinch of salt. Believe the part that make sense to you, and try some tests
otherwise. It would be great to hear your experiences with modeling OSM in
neo4j versus postgres.

Regards, Craig