Hello there,

first I have written a wall of text, previewed it and then the forum went
grey and all of the text has gone - ARRRRRRRRRRRRR!

In short: I have read some papers about different spatial indices in the
last days. The standard R-tree can be improved in various ways or even
replaced by a quad-tree. In one of the upcoming PostgreSQL versions they
will probably have a quad-tree based SP-GiST implementation. Early
proto-typing shows a speedboost of a factor of 6 in several bounding box
queries. In Neo4j there are less spatial operations based on an index
compared to a relational database and therefore it should be easier to find
an appropriate index (which hopefully will speed up some spatial
operations). In the course of my master thesis (which starts next week -
wish me luck and success) I could have a look into this.

So before everything is gone again - DOOOOOOOOOOOH - I finish this now...

Regards, Daniel