On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Pat Ferrel <p...@occamsmachete.com> wrote:

> For item similarities there is no need to do more than fetch one doc that
> contains the similarities, right? I've successfully used this method with
> the Mahout recommender but please correct me if something above is wrong.

No.

First, you need to retrieve all the other documents that are referenced to
get their display meta-data. So this isn't just a one document fetch.

Second, the similar items point inwards, not outwards.  Thus, the query you
want has the id of the current item and searches the similar_items field.
 The result of that search is all of the similar items.

The confusion here may stem from the name of the field.  A name like
"linked-from-items" or some such might help here.

Another way to look at this is that there should be no procedural
difference if you have 10 items or 20 in your history.  Either way, your
history is a query against the appropriate link fields.  Likewise, there
should be no difference between having 10 items or 2 items in your history.
 There shouldn't even be any difference if you have even just 1 item in
your history.

Finding items similar to a single item is exactly like having 1 item in
your history.  So that should be done by searching with that one item in
the appropriate link fields.