Hi Tim,

By not having user or preference information, it's not clear to me-- do you
mean you have no demographic information, but you have email or some IP
address-- some way to track the user?

It is possible to generate recommendations on purchase history, by looking at
the user's transactions and inferring a preference from what they buy the most
frequently. I used to work for a company that had transaction history, but it
was anonymized-- all the user's activity was tied to an anonymous token. They
didn't even have the name or gender. If you know a customer's card #, you could
relate the card #   as their "user_id" and use the count or monetary value of
their transactions for a specific item as a preference for that item. Try
something like conditional probability-- the probability that you will buy one
thing given that you bought another. By generating a set of pairs (item a being
the user has bought, and item b being the one they have not purchased), you can
determine the probability that they will by item b, given that they bought item
A.

Still, if you know nothing about a person at all, and don't even have a way to
distinguish them on your website, then recommendation won't really help much
because how will you actually give the user recommendations? You could consider
using market basket analysis to tell you what other items a person might put in
his/her cart. I've done market basket analysis before. It is necessary to do a
lot of "pruning" with market basket analysis, because a lot of the frequent
pairs are not very useful. But through some careful analysis, you may find
interesting combinations of items that will help your business in terms of
cross selling/promotion. I am  looking at sequential basket analysis right now.
If I buy items x1 through x4, what is the probability that a certain item will
be the next one? You might be able to use something market basket (fpgrowth) or
maybe a markov model to determine the next item in sequence.

Good luck with this. If you could share the type of data you do have available,
it would be helpful.

Rachel