Tim,

Can you be more specific about which bits are missing?

Is it about the rationale for the log-likelihood ratio test?  If so, that
rationale is simply that the algorithm is simple and empirically has been
shown to produce excellent results across a large array of applications
(over a thousand references in the literature now).

Is it regarding the specifics of how you do the computation?  I can help
with that, but would need a pointer to the difficulty.

Is it about how to arrange your data to use this computation?  The
references below might help with that.

Is it about the use of indicators for recommendations?  If so, here are
references that might make that more clear:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastianschelter
http://ssc.io/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/cf-mahout.pdf
http://isabel-drost.de/hadoop/slides/collabMahout.pdf

http://www.slideshare.net/tdunning/building-multimodal-recommendation-engines-using-search-engines