One way to deal with that is to build a model that predicts the ultimate number
of views/plays/purchases for the item based on history so far.

If this model can be made Bayesian enough to sample from the posterior
distribution of total popularity, then you can use the Thomson sampling trick
and sort by sampled total views rather than estimated total views.  That will
give uncertain items (typically new ones) a chance to be shown in the ratings
without flooding the list with newcomers.

Sent from my iPhone