I'd like to see cross-recommendations added too.

But I also want some automation of the steps required to build a simple
recommender like the solr/mahout example Ted and Ellen have in their
pamphlet.

Lowering the barrier to entry by providing a sample pipeline would help a
lot of folks get started and hopefully would keep them interested.  Perhaps
in examples/bin?