I guess I’ll put a page on the mahout site. For now some references:

small free book here, which talks about the general idea:
https://www.mapr.com/practical-machine-learning
preso, which talks about mixing actions or other indicators:
http://occamsmachete.com/ml/2014/10/07/creating-a-unified-recommender-with-mahout-and-a-search-engine/

two blog posts:
http://occamsmachete.com/ml/2014/08/11/mahout-on-spark-whats-new-in-recommenders/http://occamsmachete.com/ml/2014/09/09/mahout-on-spark-whats-new-in-recommenders-part-2/
mahout docs: