spark-itemsimilarity uses SimialrityAnalysis,cooccurrence, which does the
majority of the work. Examples of how to use it and handle I/O are in the CLI
driver mahout/spark/src/…/drivers/ItemSimilarityDriver.scala. All of this is
available as a library. The nature of Spark makes creating map-reduce and other
parallel ops almost transparent to the programmer and therefore the code is
easier to use as a lib. Calling Scala from Java is a bit tricky since Scala
renames some things for access by Java—things that don’t exist in Java. Calling
Java from Scala is very easy. They are mixed in the Mahout codebase.