> #1. Stick with attributes for rack awareness

I don't think this is the right approach; however, there seem to be 2
components to this discussion:

1. How the values are presented (Attributes vs. a new type-aware structure)
2. How the values are determined (scripts vs. automation vs. modules)

It seems you are more interested in working on #2. If that's the case,
please make sure that you don't assume anything about #1, as we not
everyone agrees that we will use the existing attributes in the future.

For #2, you should focus on an API (module or script results) that will
support all the different methods the community wants to use to generate
this data.

As you mentioned, updating the values for a running agent is not
straightforward. A lot of design work will need to go into how these values
are propagated to frameworks that have made assumptions about them, and
which values are allowed to change vs. not.

—
*Joris Van Remoortere*
Mesosphere