On 2016/6/6 21:27, james wrote:
Hello,

@Stephen::I guess Stephen is bringing up the 'security' aspect of who
get's access to the information, particularly cluster/cloud devops,
customers or interlopers....?

ACLs should play in this part to address security concern.

@Fan:: As a consultant, most of my customers either have  or are
planning hybrid installations, where some codes run on a local cluster
or using 'the cloud' for dynamic load requirements. I would think your
proposed scheme needs to be very flexible, both in application to a
campus or Metropolitan Area Network, if not massively distributed around
the globe. What about different resouce types (racks of arm64, gpu
centric hardware, DSPs, FPGA etc etc. Hardware diversity bring many
benefits to the cluster/cloud capabilities.

This also begs the quesion of hardware management (boot/config/online)
of the various hardware, such as is built into coreOS. Are several
applications going to be supported? Standards track? Just Mesos DC/OS
centric?

It depends whether this proposal is accepted by Mesos, if you think
this feature is useful, let's discuss detailed requirement under MESOS-5545.

btw, I have limited knowledge of CoreOS, will look into it.

TIMING DATA:: This is the main issue I see. Once you start 'vectoring
in resources' you need to add timing (latency) data to encourage robust
and diversified use of of this data. For HPC, this could be very
valuable for rDMA abusive algorithms where memory constrained workloads
not only need the knowledge of additional nearby memory resources, but
the approximated (based on previous data collected) latency and
bandwidth constraints to use those additional resources.

Out of curiosity, which open sourced Mesos framework do you/your customer run MPI?
Mesos can support MPI framework, but AFIK, it's immature [1][2].
I think this part of work should be investigated in future.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/mesos/tree/master/mpi   <- mpd ring version
[2]:https://github.com/mesosphere/mesos-hydra         <- hydra version

Great idea. I do like it very much.

hth,