On 06/14/2016 08:14 AM, Joris Van Remoortere wrote:
On the condition of compatible with existing framework which already rely on
parsing attributes for rack information.
There is currently nothing in Mesos that specifies the format or
structure for rack information in attributes.
The fact that operators / frameworks have decided to add this
information out of band is their problem to solve.
We don't need to be backwards compatible with something we never
published to begin with. This is why it's ok for us to consider adding a
typed form of failure domain information that is separate from the
typeless string attributes.

True. But you have to start somewhere, know that the schema and codes will morph over time to maintain relevance and usefulness. In that vein, if folks have established interesting and useful parameters for this work, then it is most beneficial that those methods and codes are considered carefully. AKA:: speak up now. Diversity and inclusion are keenly beneficial, where practical.

Since your interest is in the determination of the values, as opposed to
their propagation, I would just urge that you keep in mind that we may
(as a project) not want to support this information as the current
string attributes.

Huh? Why not? If the attributes change, why can't this sub-project just change with those changing string attributes? Maybe some elaboration how this might not naturally be able to evolve is a warranted detail of discussion?

I would venture that both 'determination of the values and propagation (delays)' are inherently important in a cluster of many things:: hardware, resources, frameworks, security codes, etc etc. The author and others seem to be keenly aware that a tight focus is not going to work, at this stage, so a broad appeal to a multitude of needs is best.
And in fact, until some idea is proven to be useless or too difficult to
implement, the bigger the tent, the more useful the codes that define this project/idea become. Personally, I'm very excited that someone has stepped up in this area; hoping they keep an open mind and flexibility geared toward multiplicative usage, in the future. Most mature hardware folks who build ideas into robust systems do exactly that, to motivate a multiplicative usage for organizing hardware, performance and state metrics, and timing signals, gregariously. All of this is routine semantics from a hardware perspective.

At some point, folks will realize that kernel configuration, testing and tweaks are critical to cluster performance, regardless of the codes
running on top of the cluster. So this project could easily use cgroups
and such for achieve robustness in many areas of need.

Like it or not large amounts of hardware, need to have schema, planning and architectural robustness to keep large amounts of hardware, pristinely available for software efficiency to be any where near optimal deployment. This really becomes critical when the mix of different CPU types, GPUs and ram are to be considered in future deployments, regardless if you outsource or run your own cluster. Hardware vendors are going to want to sell their products to as wide of a customer base a possible and customers are going to demand seamless management for expansion of resources. Furthermore, as a consultant my experiences are that much of the future market is going to demand outsourced, hybrid and in-house options as a fundamental tenant of cluster resource adoption.

hth,
James

*Joris Van Remoortere*
Mesosphere