Hi Anne,

> Your comments reassure me that when I can't find the code I expect,
> it may well be because it doesn't exist.

This is what I do in my exploration of OFBiz:

1. Tear through the codes to find something I need.

2. Expend reasonable effort to confirm a bug or missing stuff.
(grep is a good friend)

3. Send email to OFBiz ML to ask for confirmation about bug or missing stuff.

If you don't get an answer half the time, then you're like me, asking obscure questions, or those touching on difficult and convoluted or under-developed parts of OFBiz.

I see many questions posted by others, and those are answered.

While OFBiz has many holes, they are mostly inconsequential to most people. You might need some areas of OFBiz that are not fully developed, like many of us often do. We may curse and swear about having to roll our own codes in some areas, but OFBiz's base framework is immensely useful, possibly a good 80% of the infrastructure of a typical web application.

> Yes, tax calculation (specifically GST) is proving very interesting.

If I recall correctly, most of the tax codes do work. Problems only come when you have exploded items, canceled items, etc.

> If I can, I'd like to make the changes general enough that at least
> some of them can be incorporated into the main code base.

You are working full-time for a company? :) I don't have that luxury. I just build the codes needed by my clients, and leave it at that. Massaging those codes to fit into OFBiz will cost me too much. Many parts in OFBiz are not neatly structured enough (need further refactoring) to plug in enhancements. That particular Java file you mentioned is one of them.

Some parts of OFBiz are truly truly neat, though. You'll find out soon enough who does good Java here. :) When in doubt or in argument about code quality and design decisions, bug David Jones.

> I don't need to worry about the accounting side yet, so I'm leaving
> that area of GST madness until (and if) I really need to deal with
> it.

You'll likely need to fix some bugs in the Invoice side of things. Some Java file with the string "Invoice" in it.

> Thanks for the heads up with order items. I'm just now starting to look
> at that code properly.

Once you start looking through it properly, you'll likely learn it well enough to document it for the rest of us. I think you're good. You'll learn OFBiz quickly.

Lastly, as the saying goes, "it takes all kinds to make the world go round". The OFBiz community truly has many kinds. Just make friends and enjoy yourself. Note that some may be managerial staff who suck at coding, but have a lot of ERP software know-how. This community is not intensely geeky and hostile, like some other open-source communities I know. I try to be as patient with the community as the community is patient with me. I can be intensely geeky at times. :P

Enjoy OFBiz.

Jon

Anne wrote:

Hi Jon

Thanks for your enlightening comments. OfBiz is a big system to try to
learn, and when I find code in one area that does things the way I want,
but can't find matching code in other places I expect it, I get worried
the code is there but that I'm looking in the wrong place. Your comments
reassure me that when I can't find the code I expect, it may well be
because it doesn't exist.

Yes, tax calculation (specifically GST) is proving very interesting.
Currently I'm mainly looking through the code, trying to work out where
I should make changes that will display the right (for me!) values in
the ecommerce interface, without breaking existing functionality. If I
can, I'd like to make the changes general enough that at least some of
them can be incorporated into the main code base.

I don't need to worry about the accounting side yet, so I'm leaving that
area of GST madness until (and if) I really need to deal with it.

Thanks for the heads up with order items. I'm just now starting to look
at that code properly.

Cheers,
Anne.

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
Hi Anne,

Yes, you're right. In fact, for just about EVERY project I did involving
rentals or similar, I've had to completely overhaul that Java file.

I've found myself coding very unique order calcs and handling for every
unique business. Not sure how any of those can be rolled into OFBiz for
generic use.

Be prepared to roll your own, re-writing much of the codes there.
Another problem is EFT payments, truly odd. I think you'll find some
taxes and payment stuff requiring some degree of rewrite, seeing how
you're in Australia. :)

There are also some serious bugs in order item explosion codes. Beware.
The problems permeate many areas to do with order items, including and
especially tax calculations.

Jon

- --
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd