Anne,

> So it is worth me making some effort to make my code good enough to be
> integrated.

I'm sure your codes will be good enough to be integrated; good codes make bug-catching easier, so that's a powerful incentive.

As you mentioned in another post, you're finding [integrating your codes with OFBiz's] not as easy as you hoped (especially shipping inc tax).

I did start out trying to retain as much of OFBiz codes (in some areas like invoicing and taxes) as possible. But I find myself writing a whole new chunk parallel to existing OFBiz codes, rather than neatly splicing in enhancements. Well, at least my new chunks use almost exactly the same coding style and methodologies as existing codes, so that's "in line with OFBiz".

The problem is that many codes in OFBiz are themselves "parallel chunks of repeated codes". Hard to splice in enhancements in a central location; only possibly to riddle the enhancements into existing codes.

Is "parallel chunks of repeated codes" wrong? I think not really. Over time, all my codes do end up like that, until I have time to refactor (put common factors into reusable chunks).

Just don't get disheartened. Some of us here start off with huge refactoring projects, and get really tired quickly. Whatever codes work for you, use them. I find making a refactoring TODO list more cost-effective than actually doing the refactoring. I get to meet my deadlines, while still clearly documenting potential problems so I catch bugs easier if they occur.

As my bosses always say: "Get the job done, now!" :)

Jonathon