I have to admit that I don't like very much the workEffortParentId field and the way it is used; it would be better if the WorkEffortAssoc entity was used every time you have to specify an association between work effort: in this way you'll have the ability to set the type ofassociation and also validity dates. Sometimes having denormalized fields is useful (to speed up queries and simplify code) but unfortunately the workEffortParentId field is not used only for this and it is used a lot, especially by the manufacturing component, ven when the WorkEffortAssoc would do much more sense.

My general suggestion would be that of using WorkEffortAssoc as much as possible (especially for new code/features).

Jacopo