David,

From: "David E Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jacques,

We can't document every little thing. If best practices and other
recommendations and guidelines are too big then we might as well not
have them because no one will take the time to understand them, and
even those few who read them all the way through won't be able to
remember them.

I thought about putting some organised links from bottom of Contributors Best Practice page. Hence those interested would read. I know it's not easy to remember, sometimes I have to read things twice (with often a long time between) or even more to really absorb them. Maybe because there are a lot of them. Nevertheless, I believe that having them documented is better than not. At least the Commiters should be aware of them. I'm one from 2 years and I'm still not aware of all I should be. Thanks to your repeated efforts I was able to grab most of the framework and some subtleties here and there. Really... documentation help !

If you'd like to then by all means please do (this is not a centrally
driven organization). Just keep in mind your target audience. If your
question is really "how can we avoid this sort of conversation in the
future" then I'm not really sure there is a good answer. With anything
complex people really have to explore it and learn for themselves and
telling them what they need to know before they realize they need to
know it usually doesn't help. It just takes time for people to learn
about things and understand common patterns.

Yes you are right, my father always told me the same :o)

If anything I'd prefer people to have a good understanding of data
structure theories and then converse intelligently based on that, and
not have to converse at all for common situations that really need no
discussion. However, most people don't have that background and can't
tolerate weeks or months of study about graphs and trees and lists and
sets and tables and indexes and hashes... and the differences and
similarities between them... and common algorithms for working with
them, and so on and so forth.
I really wish EVERYONE involved with enterprise software would learn
about these things. They are the foundational tools that we all work
with on a daily basis and the theory and ideas around them are not
really all that difficult compared with their utility and value in the
things we create with them.

Yes I agree, and I'm missing such a detailled knowledge too, coming more from the algorithm branch of IT studies (sorry, BD always bored me, even if I liked them more viewed from the logic theory side ;o). However, to be pragmatic, I'm rather sure that pointing some details out will help people to better understand underlying concepts.

Thansk for taking the time to comment.

Jacques

-David