I totally agree.
Unfortunately in the manufacturing component it is even worse than this: the parentId is used for some of the associations (if I am not wrong, between a production run and its tasks) while the WorkEffortAssoc is used for others (routing to routing tasks associations, etc...); this has been done in this way in the early days of the manufacturing component and it should really fixed... I hope to find some time to work on it in the few weeks/months.

Jacopo