yeah - I definitely wouldn't be able to justify anything related to deploying in the stock Tomcat - it's just not worth the effort. The way that Brett described it is exactly what I'd do if I were using EC2. The problems, as I know it are:

1. Issues with Disk
-- Local vs Networked
-- Being lost ALL together
-- Unrecoverable
2. Timing issues
-- Clock synchronization can cause data to be out of sync.
3. etc

There are many others - you just have to find the people who are worried about their performance and data and not just about the cost. I'll dig in and try to find some better case studies in the not too distant future, but I just wouldn't bet on it is all I'm saying.

Cheers,
Ruppert
--
Tim Ruppert