The catalog manager searching, and operations based on search results, help a
lot in this area.

Usually the view/purchase allow categories are actually setup by searching for
all products in a certain category tree (ie in a category or any of its
sub-categories) and then adding all of those products to the view/purchase
allow category.

Finding expired/etc products can also be done with searches.

-David