Sorry, the bottom scenarios should be described like this instead:

materialReturnQuantity > (sum(WorkEffortInventoryAssign.quantity) of all tasks for productId) - (sum(WorkEffortInventoryProduced.quantity) for last task with inventory productId matching material productId)

In other words, WorkEffortInventoryAssign and WorkEffortInventoryProduced would be used instead of the WorkEffort entity to determine how much can be returned. Granted the quantity field is added to the WorkEffortInventoryProduced table as suggested in an earlier post.