Is it really sad?

It is just my opinion, but what OFBiz really needs is a more flexible
structure... though not how that would work exactly.

One case in point is my decision to start and independent effort to create a
redesigned and more modern framework, and refine the data model and services,
and build applications on those. Over the last 4 years I've put around 1500
hours into these 4 projects (Moqui Framework, Mantle Business Artifacts,
HiveMind Project Manager, and POP commerce). This is MUCH less time per year
than I used to put into OFBiz (in fact probably around 1/3 the time I used to
per year), but that was necessary anyway as the service industry blew apart and
I was making a LOT less per hour for a couple years starting in 2009, and I was
trying to achieve a better work-life balance. One small part of that was losing
weight... I'm about 110 pounds lighter than I was around the time of making
this shift. Anyway, my contributions to OFBiz itself would have dramatically
reduced either way.

There are other current situations demonstrating a need for a more flexible
project and software structure. I'm aware of a half dozen very significant
derivative works of OFBiz, some focused more on eCommerce and others more on
ERP... most on both in some aspect or another. These are mostly internally
maintained open source projects or commercial products (some not really
publicly available, only used for clients of certain larger OFBiz service
providers). Many of these projects/products represent a shift for the people
involved away from contributing to OFBiz and instead putting the bulk of their
effort into these derivative works.

From what I've seen much of the effort in these projects goes into streamlined
user interfaces and the logic/services necessary to support them. These efforts
still result in contributions coming back to OFBiz itself, but mostly more
minor bug fixes and such as opposed to significant enhancements, new apps, or
new functionality. Some bigger things get in here and there, but not a lot. In
other words, these efforts are also separations from OFBiz itself.

Is that a bad or sad thing? It would be better if many of these OFBiz
derivatives were more publicly available, even if under paid licenses and not
just free/open source ones. That would at least make it easier for the software
and services sides of the OFBiz ecosystem to grow. If more made it into OFBiz
itself, or into open source OFBiz derivatives that involved more collaborative
efforts, that would be even better for OFBiz and all of those who work on it
and/or do paid work based on it.

Still, each of these is an expansion of the OFBiz ecosystem and are good for
OFBiz itself and everyone who works with or on it, even if in minor ways.

For all open source (and much commercial) software that lives for a long time
some fragmentation is inevitable. Most open source ERP systems that have been
around for very long have been through this (aside from a few of the tightly
controlled "commercial open source" ones, but even some of those).

Back to my opinion on the situation: some fragmentation is inevitable, so it's
better to structure things to keep things shared between all fragments shared
and collectively maintained, and let everything else fragment... even
facilitate the fragmentation and make it a clear and encouraged part of the
ecosystem.

How much do I believe this is a better approach? So much that the shared
business functionality in the Moqui Ecosystem, which is in the Mantle Business
Artifacts project, doesn't have a UI at all because that is where much of the
fragmentation tends to happen... and really where much of it is actually
_needed_ and _should_ happen. I'm not saying that OFBiz should go in this
direction, there is already quite a bit of decent UI in the project (even if it
does get mostly replaced or heavily changed in any decent sized customization
project). There are other ways of defining and limiting the scope of OFBiz
itself, and making it more obvious that it is the center of an ecosystem that
involves many other software packages.

This sort of encouraged fragmentation minimizes the general "tragedy of the
commons" trend, and provides a playground for independent efforts and creative
expressions.

As another case in point, consider the massive growth of open source
foundations like WordPress and Drupal with a huge add on ecosystem, and
commercial ones like Force.com.

OFBiz in some ways has reached a sort of "maturity crisis", and in other ways
has huge room for improvement and added value... and along with it more users
and contributors. Technically OFBiz already has some pretty good extension
mechanisms, and with a lot effort they could be a lot better. OFBiz also
already has a solid core of business functionality that can be the basis for
many different application and tool extensions. Many of these already exist in
fact, just maintained as separate projects that can't easily be found through
the OFBiz web site or wiki. In other words, OFBiz is already in a pretty good
place for all of this... in some ways even better positioned than the Moqui
Ecosystem which is more intentionally designed to eventually get to this sort
of thing!

-David