Those are not really a work around, but rather a mechanism to falling back to
the more flexible tools when more efficient tools don't suffice for a certain
screen/etc, and they are all over the framework.

The best practice is not to avoid them altogether, but rather when you use
platform-specific.html or whatever that you also include alternatives for other
"platforms" (or rather, render modes) like xsl-fo, csv, or whatever. This can
be done in OFBiz, though the tag names are a little funny and don't make what
you're doing as obvious.

-David