Im pretty sure mysql databases have a structure.  although i am a little
disconnected with the ofbiz implementation in mysql, it does have a
database and that database will always have a structure and if varchar or
text is the defined structure of a column there is futher a collation of
that column.  this collation has many different enunciations of utf8 for
the various languages that utilize utf8 to its fullest.  it could be that
your specific character that is missing from that collation.  again this is
merely off the cuff speculation but you may want to look into it.