I had this exact same problem back when I was using mysql.  This is how I
finally got mysql to properly render UTF8

entity.properties
            character-set="utf8"
            collate="utf8_general_ci">
            jdbc-uri="jdbc:mysql://
10.2.10.101/ofbiz?autoReconnect=true;characterEncoding=UTF-8"

Also:
my.cnf
character-set-server=utf8
default-collation=utf8_unicode_ci

Then (I believe) you have to re-create the database to pick up the UTF8
stuff and reload the UTF8 data.  There may be a way to convert an existing
DB on the fly to UTF8... However:

The data in the DB is not UTF8 so you are (most likely) screwed.  THIS is
exactly why I ditched mysql and went with postgresql, where everything is
UTF8 by default.