Java version, that was it!

I installed jdk-1.8.0 and as soon as I defined JAVA_HOME it works.

I am able to list the tasks and run the app.  It works beautifully so far
albeit a little complicated for a very small operation.

The "Demo and Test Setup Guide" could use some updating as it's pretty
inaccurate and differs alot from the README. (I should know better adn to thoroughly read
the README's)
I read the Release notes and was surprised no mention of the README updates.

    i.e. website says:  Download and install Java 1.8 or higher JDK/J2SDK
    README says:  Java Development Kit (JDK) version 8 (specifically)

    website says: run  ./gradlew loadAll
    README says ./gradlew loadDefault

etc., etc.

Thank you all for your help, suggestions, and putting up with all my newbie
questions.  I'm just a sysadmin, not much of a developer so I don't know the ins
& outs
of development environments all that well.

I realize the differences in JDK 11 from JDK 8 are HUGE and it will take
significant effort to support the new java versions, especially since the new
barriers Oracle put in place on the
official JDK's.

Regards,
Larry R

And yes, my email handle is 20 years old and predates DJ Trump. It refers to
Euchre the card game.