Now for the bad news; currently, the api does not provide the necessary
interface to set the value within the xml markup for the workbook to control
the view in the way you require.

During today, I have had the opportunity to dig around and experiment with
some code. By looking at the raw xml markup, I have found that it is the
sheetView element and more specifically the topLeftCell attribute that
influences the workbooks behaviour in the way you require. To test this, I
created a workbook with a few sheets that had lots of rows and cells
populated. Using LibreOffice Calc, I opened the workbook and scrolled away
down the sheets selecting a cell at random before saving the workbook away
again. Unzipping the xml, I saw a few settings that could be changed and did
so in sequence, rezipping the xml markup and opening it again with Calc. If
I set the value of the topLeftCell attribute to A!, then the sheet would be
opened with that cell in the top left hand corner of the display, just as
you wanted. This did not make the cell active, nor give it focus, only made
sure it was displayed at the top left hand corner of the sheet.

It is possible to get at the address of this cell using the api. Two methods
are defined on the XSSFSheet class - getTopRow() and getLeftCol() - but
there are no corresponding setters for these values. In addition, the sheet
view object is declared as private within the class and I cannot see a quick
and easy way to get at it yet. I may well be able to do so but until then, I
am afraid your quest will have to be placed on hold.

Just for the sake of completeness, setActiveCell() will work but it does not
cause the cell to be scrolled into view. In like manner, showInPane() will
work but only if employed with the locking I described earlier. Called
either separately or together they will not have the effect you desire,
sorry. I suspect that only by setting the value of the topLeftCell()
attribute of the sheetView element will we accomplish this. I have the time
to dig around more this weekend and will let you know if I can make any
progress. Hopefully, I will be able to do something without needing to patch
the api.