Addition:

Looking at the ViewViewHandler.java, it fails at line 299.
method: setupViewController:

the viewName gets a value, the vr instance too, but:

vc = vr.resolveVariable(context, viewName);

return null and the method returns.

Now the interesting question, if context is valid and a viewname is
there - why would the vr fail to resolve the variable?

Torsten