On 5/30/07, Rahul Akolkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I have configure a my dialogContextListener but If I receive the
> onEntry method call back (for example) but I don't receive any
> onException in case I call a transition not setted in dialog config
> file. In the log I found:

<snip/>

The DialogContextListeners are notified on certain type of application
errors such as:

 * Exception while executing the method binding expression associated
with an action state
 * Exception while trying to instantiate dialog data

but are not notified on exceptions that have to do with either the
completeness of the dialog's "model" (such as the case here, an
unknown transition) or dialog lifecycle error conditions.

I suspect it might have to do with the latter being perceived as
fatal. Craig will know.

In some sense, it is reasonable to think that the framework should
report an intelligible error in such a case as this.  On the other
hand, a hard core purist would say "stupid developer ... why are you
trying to transition to a state that is not defined!" and say you
should do unit tests to catch this kind of thing.  Both viewpoints
have merit.

My personal belief is that defining a transition to a state that is
not defined is "pilot error" -- this is a mistake on the part of the
developer who created the configuration file.  On the other hand, it
would be nice if the framework provided a mechanism to validate the
correctness of the configuration (seems like a nice RFE request) ...
but I *strongly* believe that this is the kind of thing that should be
validated at design time or build time, not at run time (where it
would require extra overhead in the 99.9% of cases where the config
file is actually correct).  Perhaps we could provide things like a
command like tool to validate dialog configuration files for this sort
of error.  This would also certainly fit in to the idea of a general
'configuration auditing' tool, which is the subject of an existing RFE
(but I'm not in a position to figure out which one right now).

-Rahul

Craig