Spark can do Map Reduce and more, and faster.
One area where using MR would make sense is if you're using something (maybe
like Mahout) that doesn't understand Spark yet (Mahout may be Spark compatible
now...just pulled that name out of thin air!).
You *can* use Spark from Java, but you'd have a MUCH better time using Scala.
You don't necessarily need to know heaps of Scala to get stuff done in Spark.
I'm not from a JVM background, having been in the .NET world for most of my
career, and I haven't found scala at all difficult. And considering the amount
of stuff in Spark that's built on or uses Scala, it'll always be first class.
If you write Spark stuff in Java, you'll need a) a LOT more code, and b) will
have to deal with Spark "bridging" classes that are provided to overcome
deficiencies in Java.
Hope that helps.