imo Struts In Action seemed to contain more useful real world information
than other struts books i have purchased

-----Original Message-----
From: William T Hansley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 10:02 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Struts boooks: remommendations?

I second this comment. The Cavaness It's not bad as a intermediate- to
advanced-level book, but I tried to learn from this one first and found it
next to impossible. The examples are few and far between, and not
explained from the basics up. They seem to assume some knowledge. And
there's no examples or references for the tag libraries, and some of the
tag concepts, especially when you're first learning, are
next-to-impossible to glean from context.
My two favorites for learning Struts were "Mastering Jakarta Struts" by
Goodwill (Wiley published), and "Struts Kickstart" by Turner and Bedell
(Sams published). Between these two, I took off running and got my first
app done.
Take care!
-Bill
Jan Normann Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
04/01/2004 09:48 AM

        cc:
Rick Reumann wrote:

>    I think "Programming Jakarta Struts" by
>
>    Chuck Cavaness is a bit better for a beginner.

I personally don't like this book. I think the Struts tag libraries are
poorly documented (and differences for 1.0 which I'm using are not
described) in this book and has few if no examples of usage. You are
better off reading the online documentation. Just my EUR2.
Best regards,
Jan Nielsen