I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I just took all the JARs for a test app I had installed and moved them from WEB-INF/lib to WEB-INF/lib/stuff, and the app no longer works. This is in Tomcat, so possibly it would work with another app server, but I tend to doubt it.

One suggestion that I can make, a habit I've gotten into, is name your JARs liberally, since their names don't matter. I usually name the JARs as descriptively as possible (for example, "jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.1.0.jar" might be one) and include their version, so it's fairly easy to tradk down what's what and at a glance tell what versions I'm running. Probably not the ideal answer, but maybe it'll clean up the mess just a little.

Frank

From: Riyad Kalla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Semi-OT: Organizing WEB-INF/lib dir...
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:58:36 -0700

Quick question for the people more versed in web apps than me, can you organized your libs in your WEB-INF/lib dir into separate sub dirs? I ask because my project is using Struts and Hibernate right now, and there is a such a mish-mash of JARs forming in my WEB-INF/lib dir, that its hard for me to upgrade the right jars when a new release comes out. I'd like to have something like:

WEB-INF/lib/struts
WEB-INF/lib/hibernate

or something to that extent. Can I do this?

TIA