I think you perhaps what to organise you jars in a central place like

~/Projects/lib/struts-1.1
~/Projects/lib/hibernate-2.1

~/Projects/myapp/src

and such like

and then use ant to copy the dependencies into

~/Projects/myapp/build/WEB-INF/lib

at build time with an ant task.

This will give you the clarity of centralising your jars while not comprimising anything with the container spec.

Mark