Sure, if you added it to the classpath it will work. But the benefit of WEB-INF/lib is that things in there are loaded as needed, you don't have to put any of it on the classpath.

Most app servers I believe follow the pattern Tomcat does, which is that there is a common folder that you can put JARs in that will be loaded as needed and are accessible to all webapps. Then there is WEB-INF/lib which is specific to a given webapp. In addition to both of those, anything on the system classpath is accessible as well.

The point though is that if you put that folder under lib and do NOT added it to your classpath, will it still work? Even if it does, is JDeveloepr doing anything for you in the background to make it work?

Frank

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Semi-OT: Organizing WEB-INF/lib dir...
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:05:42 +0530

Well I have done that. I have created a directory under lib and included
struts.jar in it. This is running fine in JDeveloper when I added the path
to the classpath.

Brati Sankar Ghosh
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://www.tcs.com

"Frank Zammetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
06/04/2004 09:41 AM

Please respond to
"Struts Users Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To [EMAIL PROTECTED] cc

Subject
RE: Semi-OT: Organizing WEB-INF/lib dir...

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I just took all the JARs for a test app I had installed and moved them from WEB-INF/lib to WEB-INF/lib/stuff, and the app no longer works. This is in Tomcat, so possibly it would work with another app server, but I tend to doubt it.

One suggestion that I can make, a habit I've gotten into, is name your
JARs
liberally, since their names don't matter.  I usually name the JARs as
descriptively as possible (for example,
"jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.1.0.jar"
might be one) and include their version, so it's fairly easy to tradk down

what's what and at a glance tell what versions I'm running.  Probably not
the ideal answer, but maybe it'll clean up the mess just a little.

Frank