From: Frank Zammetti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 8:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Theoretical debate

I know what your saying, it's the way I do things as well, doing very little

work in the Actions aside from tossing values around and calling subordinate

classes to do the real work.

But doesn't that in a sense support the idea of an application being
services cobbled together?  What I mean is that the Struts portion of your
application is really what is forming the application, if by application we
mean the coherent whole set of pages that make up a larger system.  In a
sense, if you have that ShoppingCart object without it's methods, let's say
as an EJB, on it's own it's not an application, it's when you make use of it

from an Action that it becomes part of an application.

Think of it this way... If you have a collection of EJB's that you call your

"application", I would argue that's not correct, the application is really
only formed when you have a layer above it, maybe a bunch of Struts Actions,

that call on the services of those EJB's to form a whole application.

In that mindset, I can see some logic to saying something like Crysalis is
on a better path because your simplifying things a bit by essentially
removing a layer.  I think we're all conditioned to think that ADDING layers

of abstaction is a good thing, but I wonder if that's not in a great many
cases just added extra layers of complexity that we don't really need.

That's why I made that statement about services.  I mean, the whole Web
Services movement, when taken to it's logical conclusion, tells us that we
should be building applications by cobbling together a number of
losely-coupled service requests, that taken together form a larger
application.  That's kind of the whole point of WS.

Also, please no one get the idea that I'm saying Struts is anything but
good, or that I'm saying we shouldn't be doing things the way we are doing
them now.  My point in starting this thread was just to point what I thought

was an interesting way to look at things that I hadn't considered before, at

least not precisely.  If anything, much of the responses I've read have
reinforced my belief that what we're doing now in Struts is generally pretty

good.  I am a big believer in the services model of development, have been
for a number of years now (although I'm not so sure the current forms of
this methodology are spot on just yet), so discussions of things like this
are always of interest to me.

Frank