For my part, this is a big bugaboo that continually causes problems in all sorts of ways for programs that access resources with relative and absolute URLs. I just decided, except for Applets, to deliver all resources via my own action classes and to use a "protocol" to do it. I now have none of these problems. If you want a general solution so that you never have to worry about these things again, as people have to almost every day on this list, then go to:

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsCatalogEschewUrlForProtocol

Mike