What I would suggest then, is to figure that out in your action class, and pass
boolean values as part of the form bean.  Then on the jsp page, use <logic:equal or
<c:if to determine what to show.

Alternatively you could write your own tag library for the field, which would figure
out what html to generate based on the attributes you give it.  Something like:
<myCompany:inputField value="${formName.fieldName}"
applicationState="${applicationState}"/>
You can of course get a list of roles from isUserInRole(), or hand them in if your
doing something else.

If you have only 1 or 2 pages, then the first option may be easier, but if you're
doing it a lot then the taglib option might be better.