Having been exposed to both .NET and java i have to say i've prefered java.
My main reasons are:

1. java is free so learning it as a student was cheaper (well, legally
anyway!)

2. the amount of free stuff out there for java. There is soooooo much
available! Show this to most .NET developers and they're amazed.  Though to
be truthful, show most .NET developers how much stuff is available for free
for .NET and they're amazed!

3. Windows. if you go with .net, you have to use windows as a server.
Firstly there's the whole security/stability issue.  I'd agree that in my
experience win2k server has been fairly stable.  As for secure, that's a
joke.  How many worms have there been infecting windows servers? How many
have infected *nix servers?  It also seems madness to me to shell out so
much for an operating system when there are better things for free.  For
example, I installed a linux server with a struts app on it about 6 months
ago (uptime 161 days).  Hasnt been restarted since.  This was in a very
large organisation that was 100% windows, and was dubious about my use of
linux.  Their IT manager i work with says she cant belive how stable it is,
compared to all their windows servers.

If MS launched .NET for linux, then i might reevaluate it.

As for web services, i too love these.  I especially love how easy it is to
make a service using axis and .jws files.  But i do have concerns about web
services.  Dont get me wrong, web services are great if you want to connect
two systems which cant be connected in a simpler fashion. But i am concerned
with the amount of overhead web services generate (refering to SOAP here as
it is the prevelant standard).  In a traditional message passing distributed
system, the overhead (that soap introduces) could be controlled, by
minimising the size of the messages.  Instead of sending a couple of
kilobytes of http headers and xml to ask for a record by id, you could just
send the integer id number. Same applies to the response.  Might not sound
much but when you start processing thousands/millions of requests per
second, the network bandwidth, processing power and memory usage required to
handle these ineficient messages adds up. I would be interested to see a
comparison of say mysql's native tcp communications, and say a SOAP+XML
equivilent.

The inefficiency of SOAP is also a big problem for mobile devices.  Low
memory (ram, and flash) prohibits the use of say axis+exerces.  There are
various solutions being tossed about.

Daniel.