Da: Nail, Evan Burke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Inviato: martedì 14 settembre 2004 14.55
A: Struts Users Mailing List
Oggetto: RE: Advantages of J2EE w. Struts vs .NET ASP.NET

Good Points..

One thing I might add is that the Title mentioned J2EE w Struts vs .Net
and I don't think this is a fair comparison. Struts has a steep learning
curve but when used you have a good MVC type model with all the
benefits.

IMHO (I'm also 98% J2EE) With .Net Out of the box, you wont get all of
the MVC like qualities and can create really messy apps. If you want MVC
you need to get one of their code blocks www.microsoft.com/patterns  .
Need logging..you need another code block, want good exception
handling..another code block. Once you add all these in, the learning
curve goes up for .Net . I see things being more equal at that point. Go
to apache and download logging, etc or go to /patterns and download
blocks..its roughly the same. You then begin to rely on implementing
good design patterns in either app just like someone else mentioned.

As far as the IDE, I've used VS for our few .Net apps and for your first
iteration on a page I haven't seen anything faster. The widgets etc are
fairly nice. Paging, Sorting etc isn't for free but close. In my limited
experience, when I really need to get control of the object (i.e. change
a grid for example in a very customized way ) I end up pulling my hair
out. I end up using a repeater( a <c:forEach> type tag) and at that
point you're on level ground again.  However I expect when the next
version of VS comes out ( wigby or something like that) it will make
binding etc even easier.

I would be interested to hear opinions regarding gui apps and the choice
of product if people think RIA can help in this area etc.

Burke