I think Ted Husted (one of the gurus who occasionally reads this list for those who don't know) has stated it best - it all depends on what itches need scratching.

None of the "core" struts or validator developers have a need for multi-level indexed validation, so it isn't done. None of the "core" struts or validator developers have a need for javascript validation of indexed properties, so it isn't done.

If a bugzilla enhancement request is put in, and enough people vote on it, and one of the core developers has the time to devote to the problem, one or both of these might get done.

On the other hand, if somebody who DOES have the itch gets it done and gives it back to the community, then everybody wins.

Unfortunatley in the real world this doesn't always happen. I know in my case it usually comes down to "well it will take less time to do this hacky workaround, but I'll go back and do the right thing later" Its just a matter of finding the time to do the right thing.

I have a list of 4-5 things that I would like to do for struts that would make my applications much better and make things easier, it is just a matter of finding the time to do them. Indexed javascript validation happens to be one of them...but if somebody beats me to it I won't complain :)

I think corporations aren't going to be able to benefit from open source, or even consider it "legitimate" until they understand that by USING open source, they BECOME "part of the open source community" and devote some time/money/energy to it.

Matt

Terry Roe wrote:

Michael,

I think we're all here trying to help each other. Comments of dissatisfaction or frustration should be used as an impetus to improve things. Waving the "open source" flag because something isn't done as well as it might be doesn't seem very constructive. There's a big push to legitimize open source in the business marketplace. Many people are trying to use open source projects to do real work and aren't able to dedicate their lives to becoming entrenched in the open source "culture." Many people have work to do and need to complete it as quickly and efficiently as possible. Feedback and input from this particular crowd should spur the open source community to continuously improve their wares and methods.

TR

Michael McGrady wrote:

Terry Roe wrote:

Geeta,

I, too, am disappointed that none of the mailing list searches for The Apache Software Foundation appear to work. Given the fact that one "should not" post a question until one has attempted a thorough search for an answer, it seems utterly ridiculous that you can't do a search through the mailing list. I've seen many other people complain about this issue, but I have not been able to find a good explanation as to why it isn't enabled. You can try www.mail-arhcive.com to search first for Struts mailing lists and then search within the mailing list of your choice for messages. I have yet to find a really excellent way to search through Apache mailing lists, but I'd sure appreciate it if someone could make some good suggestions.

TR

No problems at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ . I agree that somehow the address of this should be more readily available, but, Geesch, this is open source. Some of htis is getting to sound pretty whiny.

Michael McGrady